Sunday, July 31, 2005

Weight comes back as fads go away

Atkins Nutritionals, the company that made low-carb dieting a household word, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Sunday, July 31.

The waning popularity of the Atkins Diet and the glut of me-too low-carb products sent the formerly high-flying company, founded in 1989, into a tailspin of debt. Apparently they have made arrangements with many of their lenders to reduce their debt in exchange for equity in the company.

I never sold the Atkins products, nor used them, but I did get on the low-carb kick in April 2004, and over the next six months shed about 20 pounds just by cutting out breads, pasta and rice. Somewhere around September '04 someone gave me a bottle of wine, something I normally didn't drink. I enjoyed the wine, and set out to learn about the differences in wines -- you know, become a wine snob -- and before I knew it, most of those 20 pounds came back. And eventually, I ate a piece of bread. And rice. And pasta. And ice cream. And enjoyed it.

No comments: